Calcium chloride is a very effective de-icing agent. Inlands and abroad, Nedmag products contribute to safe traffic during winter. A large part of Europe is supplied by Nedmag for de-icing purposes.
In Europe, liquid calcium chloride is predominantly used to moisten the traditional road salt (sodium chloride). This causes the salt to stick to the roads better, which allows for faster thawing and prevents the salt being blown to the side of the road by wind from passing cars.
In regions with lower temperatures, calcium chloride is used in both liquid and solid forms, because the effect of traditional salt is no longer sufficient at lower temperatures and for stubborn ice deposits. Calcium chloride has a better thawing effect at lower temperatures.
A study presented at the International Winter Road congress in 2018, draws attention to the effective economic and environmental contribution of using calcium chloride for de-icing. Held every four years, the congress unites professionals working on winter road safety from all over the world to enable the sharing of knowledge and best practices.
Benefits of calcium chloride for de-icing
- It can be accurately dosed.
- The salt sticks to the road; preventing it from blowing away.
- Because the salt remains on the road longer, the thawing effect lasts longer.
- More effective operation results in savings on road salt, sometimes up to 50%.
- The reduced salt load makes it more environmentally friendly.